It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:37 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:32 am 

We are excited to announce our January S3 #117 March to Berlin, Strategic Bombing Campaign, March 1945!

Thanks to Nookyb for his imagination and historical research so we can have a great historical event.

We want as many players as we can to join in so we are making these offers.

Please share with all former players you know so they can come enjoy the event with us.

And please share on all your social media.

Two offers:

OFFER 1! Anyone current player who flies Bombers for 3 of 5 Frames will get a Free Month of WarBirds, assuming they email IENT after the event to claim their Free Month!

OFFER 2! Any old player who has not played in the last 3 months, wants to fly the S3 either fighters or bombers, and flies 3 of the 5 frames of the S3, will get Jan and Feb Free, with funds to be refunded at the end of the S3 assuming they email IENT within 30 days at the end of the S3 to claim their FREE Months!

IENT will be advertising this event during January and February.

WB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:47 pm 

All,

To give the bombers a chance to survive we will have the Wingman Login set up.

It is now also in the main.

You should learn to use the wingman login before the Jan 19th Frame 1 of S3 #117 if you have any interest in flying a bomber.

This wingman login is primarily for bomber pilots and ground vehicles.

Sign In to the Main Enhanced Wingman Arena

Choose your vehicle.

Now you have to choose your wingman. Notice there is a Lead Vehicle, a Wingman 1, and a Wingman 2.

You should carefully insure that your two wingmen are the ones you want.

Also you need to check the Loadout on each of the 3 vehicles.

Launch the Lead vehicle.

Learn to use the map. You must left click on the map to get the mouse over there.

Learn to zoom the map with the mouse wheel, move the map out of the way, size and resize the map, and the options in the dialogue box when you right click on a vehicle.

The map is where you give commands to your wingman, direct your lead and wingmen to where you want to go, and be able to jump between wingmen.

From the map you can click on the lead vehicle and send it in the direction you want to go.

And if you zoom the map, you can take each of the vehicles, and send them in different directions.

You can also set the formation the vehicles will use.

Press Control F12.

Right Clicking on the each vehicle in the map opens a dialogue box.

Now you can transfer to another bomber and map a bomb run with that one. You could also send a bomber on its own attack path with the dialogue box but I have found that it is more effective to put your two wingmen off to the side, make a bomb run, send that bomber to a place on the map to wait for another bomb run, jump into one of the other bombers with full bombs, make a good bomb run, and then do it with the third vehicle.

This is not hard but it does take a few times to make sure you can do it fast when you need to.

If you find something wrong on this writeup please let me know and help us make it right!

Look forward to seeing you in the S3 January 19th!

WB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:45 am 

Tested the system and I'd like to have the map expandable. Now it is bit too small, at least for my taste.

Horrido!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:52 am 

You can expand the map. Click on the map and use your mouse wheel to make it larger or smaller in scale.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:11 am 

Any other Mac users having issues with the new login causing WBs to exit to desktop every time you select the new login type? Works fine with the regular login.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:38 am 

WLDBIL wrote:
You can expand the map. Click on the map and use your mouse wheel to make it larger or smaller in scale.

Yes, that I noticed. I meant to make the map screen itself larger. Could not "click-hold-drag" with previous attempt, but now it worked, when I tried second time. I again tried to forward wingmen go directly to hit two targets next each others and myself hit one field more on a way. It works, but wingmen don't accept "Attack Ground Target" command before they are directly over it and in case of a small one, they did not recognize it even then. It could be useful to give them the attack command after takeoff before arriving to target, as I was busy annihilating another field on my way to the main target.

Another things I noticed:

1) When giving commands to my own kite via map, after every change of direction, it turned my throttle to zero and I had to shake the stick, not the throttle lever, to wake up engines again. Happend several times.
2) I gave my wingmen order to land and did it myself. When I and one wingman had both landed, I shifted to approaching second wingman kite and oops, suddenly all the kites were airborne again. And when jumped in my own crate, it was suddenly up in 4500 meters. Fastest I've ever climbed with JU88... :mrgreen:

This wingman control is useful function but needs some training and perhaps some fine tuning. And please, give us 20mm in the nose of JU88 and remove that annoying peashooter, as was done by many in Luftwaffe as well as in Finnish Air Force.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:52 pm 

The system was originally designed for the wingmen to hold formation with you. The click and drag and then order a strike whilst you maintain a several mile separation is a "debatable" concept on whether its acceptable gameplay.
Actually orginal design was for the tank game but its been ported over with airplanes, since it was orginally for tanks, that engage on their own without telling them, a strike order was omitted in the options.
The purpose in allowing this feature in an upcoming s3 is for bomber pilots to be able to switch over to one of their drones and continue the fight, rather than, in the past, getting the human automatically made the drones just disappear, therefore taking more than 1 plane out of the fight whilst just killing the human.
So, to reiterate...big formation of b-17's, all together, the human piloted bomber sustains fatal damage, the pilot transfers flight over to a drone, and can stay in the fight/formation.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:32 pm 

+VNSLP wrote:
The system was originally designed for the wingmen to hold formation with you. The click and drag and then order a strike whilst you maintain a several mile separation is a "debatable" concept on whether its acceptable gameplay.
Actually orginal design was for the tank game but its been ported over with airplanes, since it was orginally for tanks, that engage on their own without telling them, a strike order was omitted in the options.
The purpose in allowing this feature in an upcoming s3 is for bomber pilots to be able to switch over to one of their drones and continue the fight, rather than, in the past, getting the human automatically made the drones just disappear, therefore taking more than 1 plane out of the fight whilst just killing the human.
So, to reiterate...big formation of b-17's, all together, the human piloted bomber sustains fatal damage, the pilot transfers flight over to a drone, and can stay in the fight/formation.

Understood. I was trying to stretch it to do something it is not supposed to do.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:49 am 

I was practicing today with the system, when suddenly the screen went black and two green rectangular popped up, one saying "Play Online", another having text "Play M4 Tank Brigade". I clicked WB one, got text "Parse error: unable to open file "ui\lobbyconnect.uic" and had M4 option left. Clicked it, same thing. Had to exit the game. Happened twice, both times I was above 69 at Tunisian coast.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:17 pm 

GasTed wrote:
I was practicing today with the system, when suddenly the screen went black and two green rectangular popped up, one saying "Play Online", another having text "Play M4 Tank Brigade". I clicked WB one, got text "Parse error: unable to open file "ui\lobbyconnect.uic" and had M4 option left. Clicked it, same thing. Had to exit the game. Happened twice, both times I was above 69 at Tunisian coast.

Twice today in about 5 mins, both time after swapping vehicle close to 36. There might be a bug in the system.

EDIT:

There were two of us using enhanced and we both had same problems. There must be something in the system itself.