It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:00 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: RPS
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:17 pm 

Looks like a new tour rolled over..
Spent 20 mins in TWR tonight trying to get some inspiration to take off but not a single plane available that I wanted to fly, so just logged off.
Does anybody know how fast the RPS cycles these days ? is it still 2 weeks?

Post subject: Re: RPS
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:14 pm 

I am sorry you couldn't find any WW2 fighter of your liking in RPS1, sir. Even in this 1940 era RPS there are iconic fighters like the Spitfires, Bf 109's, P-40's, Zeros, Buffalos, Wildcats, Hurricanes, Macchi's etc to fly. In RPS2-3 even more iconic fighters like the Mustangs, Focke Wulfs, Ki's, Corsairs, P-38's, Typhoons, Mosquitos and several other flightmodels enter combat.

There are many players who enjoy to fly in the different eras of WW2, which also makes the game less repetitive since a Rolling Plane Set (RPS) adds diversity, different historical plane matchups and immersion to the flight sim. There are six different RPS's, each one progressing the war forward roughly one year from 1940-1945. The RPS will change every 1-1.5 days, ending in RPS6 which will then run until the end of the TOD (map change/Tour of Duty) and has all the 1945 fighters included. This allows late war enthusiasts over a week per TOD to fly all the latest bell n' whistles fighters, while players who prefer other eras of the war can have at least a day per TOD to relive the historical matchups of their favorite time period and battles of the war.

<S>
/Robert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:55 am 

No, I've never been a fan of early war, outside of a pure BOB event type set up.

There was only the pre-BOB spitfire and Hurricaine available when I was looking.

I guess the RPS has changed?

I later worked out that there is a weird field set up where you can only get the pre-BOB spit and Hurri at small fields...
(thought these were for S3 use only?)

Yet the normal Spit I and Spit IIa are BOTH available at the airfield next door..

What gives there ?

Anyway.. I guess back online when I can get a plane with bombs & rockets.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:16 am 

The top tier fighters of each RPS are available at MAF/LAF airfields. SAF/GAF airfields thus host most fighters except the cream of the crop for each RPS. This is why the Spitfire I & II were available at a neighbouring field (MAF/LAF) while the original field you used (SAF/GAF) had only the 87 octane Spitfire. You were actually the one who invented this system when setting up a preliminary RPS6 a long time ago, sir :) . This idea was found to have great potential for making LAF/MAF fields more strategic targets as well as adding to the diversity of flightmodels flown by players and to the diversity of fighter match-ups you see in the arena. The idea has then been reworked and made to encompass RPS1-RPS6. I will make a post during the week with a detailed explanation of how the RPS system works.

<S>
/Robert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:51 pm 

Bollok asked if anyone logs in on early rps and does not see anything he wants to fly . I do not fly / tank in early planeset there is no gv's or planes I want to fly in early planeset ,so I usually just do not fly in at least first 4 days .
We used to have all available planes available till this summer when rps was put back in .I ask this question why do we have a rps ? With the numbers dwindling why not have all planes and gv's available ?
I have played aces high and in that game they do not have rps and their numbers are much much better than in warbirds . I have noticed in warbirds most if not all decisions as far as the game goes are made by the few and not made by those who play the game ? Why not let the players decide and not just the few ?
While I know I will get attacked for saying my opinion as I have before ,but I am trying to save Warbirds .
P.S. Still think the Greece map was the best map warbirds had till someone decided to chop it up so the fighters had an easier time to find fights , again where the players asked no ? Very disappointed this was done .

:( Choppr :(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:03 pm 

This is the third time I've tried to respond to this thread! I keep hitting some damn short cut key that erases everything I've written. Who know the forum software was a writer's critic? :P
Anyhow, much as I respect Bollok and Choppr, I have to disagree on both counts.
The Greece map drives players out. It's just too big with too few airfields. OK for bombers? maybe but Oldml- who flies nothing but bombers- hates the map even more than do I.
As for the RPS... Without it, there'd never be a point to flying the planes I really love- early spits, 109s and the Curtiss Hawk.
When the RPS was turned off- there was no gain in player numbers- and turning it on seems to have made equally little difference. About the same number of people hate it as love it I guess!
AS for AH- well, their numbers are down by about 50 percent. Still more than we have in the evenings, but about the same as we get for S3s. Also, while all planes may be available, you need to earn 'perk' points to get the best ones. That effectively makes the uber rides the property of the most skilled pilots while forcing noobs to flounder around as cannon fodder in much less capable airplanes. I like AH- but mostly because it supports Oculus Rift. IF WB ever supports it, I'd never bother with AH.
Even with that, I fly WB about 10 times as many hours as WB.
I think i understand your positions on these points, and I respect them. But remember, there is a body of players who respectfully disagree.
Holy crap... made it through without hitting that damn' hot key. Whatever it is.
finn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:33 am 

The Greece map is one of those that is difficult to get stuff done on without CO-OP.
So I can see how that is off putting when you combine with low numbers and slow early planes.
The RPS / Map wouldn't matter quite so much if there was base of 60 people online.
That's really the major issue. 4-5 players online.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:15 pm 

RPS was one of the greatest invention for online historical combat flight sim imho(the idea itself may have been there from board game era). I've seen RPS in other flight sims but none of them seemed working as successfully as that of WarBirds' Main Arena in the 1990s-2000s. Hard to forget the excitement of having new planes each day(and it lasted for 21 days!) and being impressed by their speed and firepower... and fun of the jet day at the end of TOD. But yeah it was fantastic with the decent numbers of players we had back then.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:41 pm 

FINN said:

"Even with that, I fly WB about 10 times as many hours as WB."

What do you mean?

MacOS: El Capitan 10.11.6
Hardware: 2011 iMac 27" with El Capitan
Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
Graphics: AMD Radeon
Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Facebook Page: Warbirds Skins

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:07 pm 

iart7 wrote:
FINN said:

"Even with that, I fly WB about 10 times as many hours as WB."

What do you mean?

Umm.. looks like a stupid typo... I fly WB about 10 times as many hours as AH.
ooops. sorry.