It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:03 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: MicroProse News!
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:52 pm 

https://www.microprose.com/news/microprose-is-back#

Nothing on Warbirds, but they've just announced their 1st 3 games!

I've been following the development of Task Force Admiral and Second Front for awhile and they both are looking to be excellent games. I'm really excited to see what role Warbirds plays in their development plans.

Post subject: Re: MicroProse News!
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:51 pm 

Looking at Task Force Admiral, I think MP rendering of the water is EXCELLENT.
The sky screens were so-so, except for one sunset that was BEAUTIFUL. Skins
of the aircraft were not as GOOD as Warbirds skins. I did not see HEXAGONAL
TIRES on any of the planes. I Hope Warbirds 2020 will have similarly detailed
SHIPS and AIRCRAFT CARRIERS.

If MicroProse plans to show Warbirds 2020 on their screenshot web page, I hope
they will use some of my screens (see my Facebook page). At least don't use
the crappy default skins that iENT uses on their screenshot web page:

https://corporate-ient.com/warbirds-2020/

MacOS: El Capitan 10.11.6
Hardware: 2011 iMac 27" with El Capitan
Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
Graphics: AMD Radeon
Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Facebook Page: Warbirds Skins

Last edited by iart7 on Tue May 05, 2020 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:10 pm 

Hey iart7, your assessments of the graphics are spot on, as would be expected. Keep in mind; the game is still 12-18 months away according to the developers last estimate before the MicroProse announcement, so what we're seeing isnt the final product. And the dry dock games team are very responsive and great communicators, wouldnt hurt to share your skin expertise on their facebook or discord. They have some videos of making the models in their dev blogs you might find interesting too.

I am really curious how Warbirds fits into the bigger MicroProse picture. I'm probably dreaming but my guess is it's going to be the multiplayer part of their new line of sims. Best way I can think of to get fresh blood in here.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:14 pm 

MicroProse doing a graphics upgrade is nice; but without some more code, different pay structure and a change in gameplay, I doubt many that will try it will stick around. The idea I thought was a Sim about battles in the air, but what we have now is one side; even with 2 to 1 odds or more, are still flying under radar and popping at the last minute to lay eggs down and die over and over to close and capture fields. Not the kind of gameplay that makes someone want to keep playing.

I hope I'm wrong, but after seeing the game change to this 12 years ago; all I've seen was people leaving in large numbers until players have dwindled down to the 25 or so still around. Of these a good number are hoping things will change in the "new" game and if gameplay doesn't change I don't believe they'll keep paying for what it is now.

Respectfully said.
IMHO

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:33 pm 

To that point Grumps, what you describe can be attributed to having no rules and no penalties for such actions. How can you obey or enforce the rules when they dont know what they are?
When the need for funds clashes with the need for order and change, the latter loses to the former every time.

Hopefully this will be part of any new version. Rules for gameplay and penalties for abuses of those rules. Otherwise its just a coat of paint on the Romper Room..

Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 29048MB
OSX 10.13.6

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:55 pm 

Yeah what the heck with some dweebs' darphobia? I'm not here to play hide and seek

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:23 pm 

Grumpy and Pakrat,I doubt MicroProse puts it's logo on Warbirds2020 if its nothing but a new coat of paint, they seem too serious about their reputation for that.It is kind of curious its not listed in their upcoming games and no mention since that first announcement. Maybe they're not as involved as I was under the impression they were. Or maybe their interest in it isnt as a stand alone game.

If Warbirds were to provide the multiplayer for the MicroProse sims there would by necessity be big changes.Separate persistant arenas for Pacific and European AvA plane sets. Different payment structure would be a must. Probably structured AI missions in the arenas.

Hopefully they could do some coding to stop the bad gameplay and dweebery that seems to be the end stage of online flight sims. But moreso I think that has to come from new players. New players coming in through European Air War, B-17, or Pacific Air War would want and make the air combat like in the off line game they bought, not the sandbox silliness there is now.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:57 pm 

hmmm. I love the Warbirds S3's. But thats all thats keeping me at this point. I love Wild Bill, he's a great guy and I love my squad. But when I see Youtube videos of IL-2..holy cow...

I stick around and hope....but I keep hearing another 6 months, another year...

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:34 pm 

All excellent looking games with some real strategy and simulation emphasis. It would be interesting for WB2020 to come out as naval operations only to start. Easier to simulate and deploy ground forces in later updates. There are many excellent single-player combat sims out there, a few good multiplayer ones, and a limited choice for true MMOs. I see the key to WB2020 as combining the strategy and depth of a single-player campaign game like TFA with a MMO that emphasizes both historic and squad play by land, sea, and air. Microprose certainly looks to be off to a good start designing games I would like to play.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:59 am 

grumpy wrote:
MicroProse doing a graphics upgrade is nice; but without some more code, different pay structure and a change in gameplay, I doubt many that will try it will stick around. The idea I thought was a Sim about battles in the air, but what we have now is one side; even with 2 to 1 odds or more, are still flying under radar and popping at the last minute to lay eggs down and die over and over to close and capture fields. Not the kind of gameplay that makes someone want to keep playing.

I hope I'm wrong, but after seeing the game change to this 12 years ago; all I've seen was people leaving in large numbers until players have dwindled down to the 25 or so still around. Of these a good number are hoping things will change in the "new" game and if gameplay doesn't change I don't believe they'll keep paying for what it is now.

Respectfully said.
IMHO

Easy to fix with settings, revert to the old settings, with shorter rebuild times, more troops required for capture, fewer troops load, ToT settings, blast radius\pinpoint change, and losing .dfuse(some of these changes pre-date the issue, but became enablers when coupled). Pretty much everything done to thwart said behavior has had little to no effect on that issue, apparently; and has actually, with all the additions of targets, ack, futzing with the above settings, increasing target hardness, etc.; also limited guys in low number environments ability to close and capture(another concern voiced which.

In VR, sometimes unreality works better to simulate reality than reality.