It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:24 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Re: WarBirds2020 BETA
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:07 pm 

Finn wrote:
.. this style of play, which combines the expertise of years and completely unbalanced sides...
finn

Best, most succinct description of the problem ever.

GasTed wrote:

Agree 101%

When I started at WB about 1,5 years ago, odds were not that overwhelming, there were pilots of many levels. Not any more, most have gone and new nicks really do not stay long.

In Legacy, when I log in nowadays (mostly during European afternoon times) mostly I see is bunch of "allied" ones bombarding empty fields as there are no others in my "axis" side. When odds are normally 1/4 - 1/14, there's no much sense (especially w/ my pilot skills) to start flying directly against them but to adapt guerrilla style lone wolf tactics. Which seem to irritate some, according to remarks received at ch 100.

I still keep on peeping in Legacy now and then, fly sometimes a bit, mostly use GVs and ack and if ever get my right hand working properly again, will try to learn fighters as well. Main Arena & Tank Battle AI:s will occasionally entertain me while that, both in air and ground. There the odds are more favorable. And offline, of course, there one can choose.

Hey, hope your hand recovers, mines been bad for years from a stroke , makes gunnery an extra challenge! Which side has the overwhelming odds seems to vary by time and day, but they're almost always unbalanced when I check.And even when the numbers are balanced, it's usually small groups scattered all over the map mostly grabbing undefended bases, not concentrated in one area fighting each other. That nearly everyone left in the game is a 10-20 year veteran can make an already steep learning curve seem insurmountable or at least not worth the time investment.

The main arena could be fun, but the ai is less skilled and aggressive than the offline rookie ai,so it gets boring really fast if you're more interested in air to air than ground pounding.

I usually check the arenas, and then end up setting up offline free flight air attacks with ace ai and random # of enemies for my dogfighting fix. It feels more like circa 2000 online air combat than anything actually online today.

Last edited by Awghst on Mon May 11, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:16 pm 

Finn wrote:
I say try something else, and build a new customer base. The game needs to be both fairer, and a bit easier for noobies to play, at least initially.
finn

Agreed
War Thunder appears to currently be the most popular and financially successful 'flight sim'.The vast majority of the players play in relaxed realism arenas, there's a very small population in the full realism arenas.

When I played Air Warrior way back when, there were hundreds in the relaxed realism arenas where I started but only ever 50-60 in the full realism arena where I ended up There was also a new (and crappy old) player arena where you could play up to a certain score.

It would've been before I first tried Warbirds in 2001, but didnt Warbirds also once have a relaxed realism arena? And they tried to combine rr and fr in the same arena and it didnt work out?

Theres a very small audience for hardcore flight sims. Thinking Warbirds 2020 is going to draw anyone away from DCS the IL-2 series or any other existing sim is dreaming. VR and awesome graphics can't change that. So where does the new customer base come from?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:36 pm 

You are right Awghst. War Thunder is hugely successful, amazing in many ways and the devs are just pumping out the new vehicles every 3 months or so for years. There are three modes of play, all which are tough but the higher you go the more historically accurate they are. Simulation mode in tanks or aircraft is very stressful and realistic and graphically amazing. Its actually almost too tough, each match beats the crap out of you. No icons, no map help..."should I shoot? I think he is an enemy? aw crap I team killed sorry! sorry!"
WT is 20 mins of furious fighting and then re-game. They do so many things well but are missing something that WB2020 could capitalize on. The MMO aspect of WT is very limited. Its 32 man fights for 20 mins then repeat with a different bunch of guys. They have a World War aspect under development but its very difficult to understand and again limited in sustained 24/7 MMO aspect.
If WB2020 could take the basics of WT and meld it into a quick action game plus a MMO historical arena aspect it will be a winner.
Microprose should be playing the hell out of WT to see what works and what doesnt.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:49 am 

Tried WT for a while ago, before my deteriorating hand injuries made me almost unable to fly and didn't like it so much, pretty much just because of this "team in, fight, game over"-system, WBs system is far better. Absolutely great graphics but some features like daily bonuses etc. were too much ''gamish'' for my taste.

Gave also try to Aces High, liked it more than WT, but will most probably hang on WB. My son just loves to tank around in WBs Tank Battle and Main Arena, so if you see my nick raving around there, watch out; it may be junior and he's pretty good in it. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:59 pm 

Quote:
-jabo- said:

If WB2020 could take the basics of WT and meld it into a quick action game
plus a MMO historical arena aspect it will be a winner. Microprose should
be playing the hell out of WT to see what works and what doesnt.

Why don't each of you guys write a short paragraph, similar to what -jabo- wrote
and give your impressions of what will benefit Warbirds to build the base. Lets get
administration to read the posts (if they would)?

MacOS: El Capitan 10.11.6
Hardware: 2011 iMac 27" with El Capitan
Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
Graphics: AMD Radeon
Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Facebook Page: Warbirds Skins