It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:07 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:34 pm 

Food for thought on this.

I see a handful of players in this game that consistently get 1 pass or 1 ping kills.

For those who say that it doesn't exist:

https://www.tubefilter.com/2019/11/05/f ... be-videos/

---------------------------------------------------------
There are 2 kinds of people in this world...
Fighter pilots – and those that wish they were.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:19 pm 

grumpy wrote:
Pakrat wrote:
Hi Robert.. Just an FYI.. I did the update and jumped in a B17F to see how it was now. Got up to around 10k and climbing when I was accosted by a 109 coming in firing at my 6.... I ping PK.. No other damage.....I thought this was addressed?

The FM team can't fix connection issues. :cry:

Yo Grumps. yes, this is true. However, this was after the update that supposedly addressed the issue of pilot kills being achieved by a fighter firing from the six thru the entire fuselage and hitting the pilot before any other damage was incurred. Not really a conx issue this time. from the update info..

"The pilot will be somewhat better covered which should reduce the one-ping kills of bombers unless shooting at the cockpit from a realistic angle. You'll need to HO a buff from straight in front or slightly above, and it will be harder to get a pilot kill from underneath. This should better protect players who climb to altitude compared to lawnmower buff players."

Just pointing out that it didnt seem to make the PK from the rear any harder.. it seems to be the same as before.. YMMV tho..

Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 29048MB
OSX 10.13.6

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:15 am 

Regarding rear shot pilot kills
<S> Pakrat!
Yes the cockpit is now better protected, meaning that there are hitboxes better protecting it from rear-angle shots. It is less exposed than before and requires a shot from 4 'o'clock or 8 'o'clock to have a chance of being hit. This should make it less common to get rear shot pilot kills. However I guess that micro lag can sometimes cause the bullet (which travels almost 2000 ft/sec) to sometimes skip a few hitboxes and not register it's position until inside the pilot hitbox, causing a ghost shot pilot kill. This would then need a server rehaul to be fixed. I can't be sure this is the issue but i suspect it.

Regarding B-17 hitpoints
<S> Finn!
I guess you were flying the P-39 with the 37mm M-4 cannon? Do you have a link to the video? The thing of interest is to see exactly where did each of those 5x 37 mm shells hit. Remember there is no partial damage in Warbirds, so if they hit different areas of the B-17 then you would now have several parts with low hitpoints, but still no part that is 100% destroyed. The B-17 is the largest and toughest bomber in the game, and there were several ww2 records of B-17's with half of the aft fuselage shot off but still got home. Never shoot at the aft fuselage of the B-17, but go for the engines or a front/side/top shot on the cockpit. While we are missing the graphics to show large holes in the aft fuselage from damage, the B-17 would still be able to fly until the tail is completely destroyed. Note that the B-17 has not been given extra hitpoints to be extra tough. The hitpoints have been set using the same formula, based on size, as for other bombers. It's just more massive than the rest.

You can use the picture below to assess how many shots you need to kill the buff, depending on where each bullet hit. As a general advice the hitpoints of the B-17 engines is less than 1/10 of the aft fuselage hitpoints, so always go for the engines. It will save you time and ammo. Wether or not the hitpoints vs gun damage is fully representative of real world results I don't know, but when remaking the buff hitpoints I pretty much kept them at the same level as they were before, as to not change the balance of the game. They might probably be a bit tougher than in real life, which is to compensate for the fact that you can't fly in 100x bombers formations in Warbirds and lone buffs are more vulnerable than a tight large formation. The difference is that while all buffs previously had a generic hitpoint pool, regardless of relative size, the buffs now have the toughness of every part set depending on the hitbox volume, and the engines can no longer take over 10 direct 20mm rounds without being damaged as before.

Below are hitpoint values for some parts of the B-24 Liberators. Go for the engines, not the fuselage.

<S>
/Robert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:55 am 

Here's the link to that b17 video.
https://youtu.be/bzF386AVYcM
I count at least 5 hits. left wing, fuselage, right wingroot.

This is the composition of the 37mm round:

"The bursting charge of tetryl weighed 0.10 lb (45 g), and the alternate Composition "A" charge weighs 0.105 lb (48 g). The tetryl loading consisted of a 200 gr (13 g) tetryl pellet pressed into the shell cavity under 9,000-10,000 psi (60-70 MPa) pressure and the remainder of the charge of two equal increments pressed under approximately 9,000 psi (60 MPa) pressure. The Composition "A" bursting charge is loaded in the same manner as the tetryl charge, except that the relay pellet with the Composition "A" weighs 36 gr (2.3 g) as against 23 gr (1.5 g) for the pellet used with the tetryl load."(from: http://p63kingcobra.com/m4_37mm_auto_cannon.html)