Hmm, yes. For some reason the green striped "Schwarze 3" became the default for the Bf109E-1 yesterday, strange. Previous default was the low-resolution "Red 5". Now I get the "Red 14" as the default skin, so seems to be working correctly.
I've checked into it more. It's very strange but all Bf 109E's seem to be connected to the Bf 109E-4 somehow.
* If I copy all the skins of the BF109E ppv folder and paste them into the 109E1A0 and 109e4AA folder, then both the Bf 109E-1 and Bf 109E-4Aa can use the skins.
* If I then delete the skins from the BF109E folder, then the E-1 and E-4Aa still have the skins listed in the Vehicle info menu, but they all look like the default skin of that plane (i.e. red 14 & black 5).
* If I put back the skins into the BF109E folder again then all skins work correctly for the E-1 and E-4Aa again.
* Deleting the skins from the 109E4Aa folder does not affect the 109E1A0 skins from showing correctly.
* I can not get the E-1 Yellow 10 to work, no matter what name I give it or if I copy it to both the BF109E & 109E1A0 folder.
Another test I did was to use your .ppv file for the Bf 109E-1.
* By using this the E-1 got the "Yellow 10" as default skin, not the "red 14". I could not use any other skin for it though. If removing the "yellow 10" from the 109E1A0 .ppv folder, the default skin of the E-1 reverted to the "black 5" of the E-4. The "Yellow 10" skin actually showed up though ingame as long as the files for it were in the .ppv folder.
* The cockpit however dissapeared when using your 109E1A0.ppv file and got replaced with the SBD-5 Dauntless cockpit.
I then tried to manipulate the original 109E1A0 .ppv file by changing one row at a time.
*Changing name of the fusetex and wingtex rows etc etc didn't do anything.
* Using your .vfc name however screwed the FM up and replaces the cockpit with the SBD-5 dauntless cockpit and reverted the default skin into the P-51 skin.
. It seems it takes the skin of the last plane used except the E-1.
* If also changing the skinpath to 109e1a0 though then the "yellow 10" skin showed up as the default. I could then change the skinpath again and the "yellow 10" would still be the default skin. The cockpit was still that of the SBD-5 Dauntless though. Next time I did it the E-1 got the E-4's "Yellow 9" skin. I now could not get the normal E-1 default back no matter what text I used in the .ppv file. Using your .vfc path though changes the skin of all Ai's to the "Yellow 10". If I use "P51.vfc" then all wingmen will look like P-51D's. I had to exit the game and restart it in order to get the default "Red 14" skin to work again. This issue is probably why I had the "Schwarze 3" skin as default yesterday.
* Changing the skinpath seems to do nothing really otherwise. I set it to "P51" but nothing changed.
It seems very strange how the skins work for the Bf 109E's. I have not seen this phenomenon with any other plane, nor with the Bf 109F's/G's/K's. Must have to do with how they originally coded/cloned the 3d models of the Bf 109E's.
P.S. I've learnt to use the #-symbol when adding notes to any FM files, not the *-symbol. I'm not a computer programmer though so maybe both work?