It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:58 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Re: Warbirds 2020....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:29 pm 

Good points Bollock. Come in with an old payment structure and you're dead in the water. Free to play gets in the numbers while perks and expansion packs make you money. Staying away from Pay to Win is crucial. Players will soon hate you even the ones paying to win. True Free to Pay games are well thought out and just as fun for the guys that dont pay a dime as those that go premium or buy perk vehicles. This has to be carefully designed and organized from the beginning so there is no confusion after launch how the structure works. With 10,000 players on each hour its easy to make money on simple transactions like premium accounts, squad formation, custom skins and professional leagues.
Eve Online is a good example of what events could be in WB2020. Persistent servers that feature a theatre of war with dynamic action and consistent results. Combine it with RPG elements and players invest in these servers. But many will choose not to and play the instant action games instead. But the depth and strategy and real meat of the game is on these theatre servers. Again the old game play of bomb a field, capture it, move on has to be left behind and real strategy, depth of play and varied player options brought to the fore.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:39 pm 

With 10,000 players you'll have 1000 problem children. The WT board is full of them. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:27 pm 

If its free to play it will eliminate the 'But I pay every month to fly all the planes I want to fly and dont want to be told which I can and cant fly ..." whenever any restrictions are applied such as the Rolling Plane Sets.... This would be a welcome change..

Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 29048MB
OSX 10.13.6

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:09 pm 

My point exactly Grumpy. Nobody hears them. WT bans at least 200 players a month for cheating/hacking.

You make a game, you administer it and you update it. If people show up and play it in significant numbers then you are doing something right. You make money at it and can reinvest in the game then you have a winner on your hands. The devs of game after game get vilified by players. The good ones have a plan and listen to all their players, not just the squeaky wheels. Problem children, toxic communities, hackers, cheats.... welcome to the new gaming world. A competitive game today needs an excellent hacker code so that the players that play feel their online time is rewarded. If a game is riddled with cheating and hacking allegations then nobody serious about playing will touch it. Same for game play and forums. Moderation has to be easy and seamless with standards well set and stood by. Once a game gets a reputation for a toxic community players interested in it tend to pass it by.

Both War Thunder(WT) and World of Tanks(WoT) have 10,000 players at one time on steam, peaking to 20,000 or more. This does not include their regular servers which have the same again or more. The majority are playing free for sure. But they have designed their system where game play and posting on forums can be moderated and enjoyed by everyone. Sure there are griefers but its hard for them to be heard when the vast majority online are enjoying themselves. Because its difficult to run into the same griefer again and again in instant battle situations these would be where all the new players go. Here they learn the mechanics of a challenging game. Show yourself to be a stand up player then you graduate to the next level whatever that would be, say premium content or personal skins. Been in the game for awhile you can now join a squad and are bound by the squad rules on behaviour and sportsmanship. Most griefers are left behind or leave, even with 500,000 monthly users.

I think we have a great database of experience players that can define a game. Write up codes of conduct based upon years of play and how much it has changed for the good and bad. Hopefully its WB2020.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:36 pm 

I like your thinking Herr Jabo. I do believe the game has to be either a airplane game/sim only or something way different than WT or any other game play already locked up by other games. That's just me though I suppose. Hopefully WB and Micropose are reading the forum as there have been a number of ideas that they should look at posted.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:59 pm 

Major weakness I find in WT and WoT is that they dont see the long game. Sure WT has ultra-realistic simulation battles but they dont really support it with events. I think if WB2020 can adopt the short game and make that compelling they have the long game experience already. MMO events and hopefully persistent theatre arenas. Many of these 10,000+ player per hour games are all about introducing new content to keep them real but not changing the game beyond what it was originally. WT is working on a strategic world war server where squads take part in battles that affect the arena but it has been several years in development. This is something WB2020 needs to know. The development strategy and playout is huge. WT has just released their ship component after years of alpha beta development. You cant roll these things out with 8 months of development. Maybe 8 months into early alpha but not a paid for game. Steam is great for this, early access is early so you are warned about bugs and dev issues.

We need the realist nuts like grumpy, bollock, robert and juice advising on the actual representation of the game mechanics. How well do the planes actually fly, how accurate is the loadouts and effects of weapons, that kind of stuff. Get that all right and the game designers can slot that in into the actual game play. When you can actually rank x-y-z because they are real and accurate relative to each other it makes game design much easier. A perk plane is actually a perk plane. When you grind through to get another plane its actually worth it. Only 2 of these planes were ever product historically then they are very hard to earn and find. Play arcade where all the planes are easy to handle but because of the realist nuts the proper planes are just a tiny bit easier to handle. Scaled out to ultra-sim and the differences are noticeable, historic and awesome to play.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:54 am 

We need to update this thread and make sure the right people working on the game read stuff.

Is there any truth to the rumor I started that there will possibly be a Kugelpanzer in early releases of the new game?

MacOS: El Capitan 10.11.6
Hardware: 2011 iMac 27" with El Capitan
Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
Graphics: AMD Radeon
Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Facebook Page: Warbirds Skins