It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:01 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Classic Game Mode
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:31 pm 

For several days I tried to log in using the classic mode. It returned that the IEN sever could not be reached. Please try again later.

I tried 2013 mode and works fine however on my machine I get micro warps. Has the classic game been removed? Or is that just me?

Post subject: Re: Classic Game Mode
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:22 pm 

I just tried my WB classic and could log into the arenas without problems. Dunno why it's not working for your game, sir. Anyone else having troubles?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:28 pm 

I would not recommend classic mode any more unless its just for offline play. For any of the new terrains since 2006 classic mode has not been supported and all the textures will be very dark and ugly. Like playing over iwo jima.

I really would like to try a terrain that would not have textures just solid colours. Make it look like Ravenfield, Ancient Warfare 3, Unturned, Rise of Liberty all the new games that are going so retro. Would make WBs look less dated but retro :) The actual game mechanics, FMs and game play would be what matters not eye candy. This could be the new classic retro :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:20 pm 

Has anyone seen some of the competition's flight sims? I won't mention any names, but
somehow, Warbirds is falling behind in the graphics department. Are there any plans
to update the Enhanced Graphics engine? Terrains, Sky, Aircraft are in bad need of
updating.

PS: read my new signature if you haven't lately.

MacOS: El Capitan 10.11.6
Hardware: 2011 iMac 27" with El Capitan
Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
Graphics: AMD Radeon
Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Facebook Page: Warbirds Skins

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:14 pm 

Agreed..it looks to me like the lighting system needs an upgrade...much better lighting and shadowing in the newer games...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:56 pm 

I can talk with some expertise on the terrains. Primary stumbling block for updated graphics in WarBirds is the use of clouds and clutter. Because puffy clouds and clutter are just rendered on the front end of each player computer but not matched through a server setting its not the same for everyone. Our puffy clouds never worked right and have never been used in an S3 because of that. The cloud layer commands are loaded in a server that everyone sees the same but there effects are fairly insubstantial. Clutter are just generated bitmaps and not an actual object that you can run into or hide behind. Furthermore they are just a set random seed for each terrain and cannot be specifically assigned to a set location. To have any real tank battle you need trees and grass and such that is both cover and obstacle for everyone like houses and such which are actual objects with hit points set in each terrain.

To be honest WarBirds needs a complete revamp to take its place with the games designed with unity, unreal and cryengine from 2010 on. To just add VR support onto an old game is not going to help much. VR games are great but the player base with full VR support is still much smaller than the general player base. Flight sims should have VR support but it should be an addition to an already great game.

If money was no object WarBirds needs to redesign from the floor up using an existing game engine with proven worth and ease of updating. From there you could rebuild all the FMs using the existing data, assign proper ballistics and weapon damage as well as aircraft hit points and damage locations. Terrains with seasons, time and lighting effects would be multipurpose arenas for tanks, aircraft and ships. Most would facilitate smaller fast paced affairs while larger more complex ones would stand ready for the weekend events we all used to look forward to.

If money was no object. But it usually it is. But I still play the lotto.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:43 pm 

+1