It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:52 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:54 pm 

I thought by this time they had installed Mrs Schillings Orifice in the Merlins. Just noticed while flying one that it cuts out.. Is this correct?

Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 29048MB
OSX 10.13.6

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:44 am 

<S> Pakrat!
The Spitfire Vb still used the normal float carburator which had the engine cutout at even small negative G's. Miss Shilling's Orifice wasn't made standard until the Spitfire Vc. This quick-fix for the carburetor was not a final solution though. The Shilling's Orifice helped a lot with preventing fuel to flood the engine at the slightest neg G's, but the engine would still get flooded and cutout if the pilot pushed the stick forward to aggressively. This neg G cutout phenomenon wasn't fully solved until the Spitfire IXe, which used the Merling 66 engine, in which the Bendix Stromberg injection carburetor was fitted.

If you fly and compare the Spit Vb and Spit Vc in the game you'll notice that the Vb cutouts more easily than the Vc, which requires a more firm forward push before the engine gets flooded. The Spit IXe won't cutout at all.

Float Carburetor - (cutout at very slight neg G's)
Spitfire I
Spitfire IIa
Spitfire Vb

Miss Shilling's Orifice - (Can sustain more neg G's before cutout)
Seafire IIc
Seafire III
Spitfire LF Vc
Spitfire F IXb

Bendix Stromberg Injection Carburetor - (No neg G cutout)
Spitfire LF IXe
Spitfire F XIVe

<S> sir and see you in the virtual skies :)
/Robert

Last edited by Robert on Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:51 pm 

Aaah, ok then. Thanks Robert. I didnt remember the Vc ever cutting out in previous years and wasnt sure if it was supposed to be doing that. With all the re-do's lately just wanted verification all was as its supposed to be and that I wasnt going nuts.. well, the spit is fine but I am going nuts!

Cheers!

OSX 10.13.6

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:30 pm 

We've done much homework finding data Pak. Could we miss something? Well yes, but believe me you aren't going to find much data that we don't have. Now if you'd like to find some Japanese data (it's sparse and appears much isn't available) we'd be delighted!

<S>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:49 am 

Yes we dig for data thoroughly since we really want to make the flightmodels performance as close to history as possible. Grumpy for one has almost more books, manuals and data collected than a library :D . All feedback is more than welcome though since, as Grumpy wrote, we might always have made some error when going through all the hundreds of parameters of code that builds the flightmodels. Actually your post made me find an error, the Spit IXa should have the same Shilling's Orifice cutout settings as the Vc, but I just discovered that I've mistakenly given it the same neg G's settings as the Spit IXe. This will be fixed in the coming update that features full remodeling of the Ki-43 and the Ki-44.

<S> and all critique + feedback is always welcome regarding the flightmodels :)
/Robert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:49 pm 

Grumps and Robert..

Never would I question either of you guys on stats and tech stuff. I was just checking to see if there had been a mixup after the last update/map rotation/rps .. And it seems I accidentally did help a bit! I'll try and stop doing that! LOL!

On a side note, I have noticed that the B-25 C seems to be the only AC in the lineup that has a working clock on the dash.. Maybe you can have a look and try and apply that code setting across the board? Also, its the only B25 with a newer cockpit. Seems they all could use that one..

Also, do any of you guys have any info on if the game is updated for Mojave yet? I updated from Sierra to High Sierra and took quite a performance hit which has introduced random stutters and freezes and cut framerates in half. Cant revert back so stuck waiting for Mojave or a fix for HS.. Really a shame as it was running like a beast on Sierra. Much appreciated..
Thanx all..

OSX 10.13.6

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:09 am 

Pakrat wrote:
On a side note, I have noticed that the B-25 C seems to be the only AC in the lineup that has a working clock on the dash.. Maybe you can have a look and try and apply that code setting across the board? Also, its the only B25 with a newer cockpit. Seems they all could use that one..

I've been wondering about this too. As you can see in jlo's video to be posted below from a few years ago, B25H used to have the new panel. There must be reason for bringing back the old one... like maybe the larger gunsight is more useful?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:27 pm 

The default B25H cockpit is not 3D so doesn't work with head tracking.
It was swapped out in the past for that reason, however does mean that the otto / gunner positions will therefore be in the wrong place.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:39 pm 

I see, thanks bollok.