PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:34 pm 

--

Extremely good show by all here.

Thanks so much

Juice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:05 pm 

Thank you, sirs! :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:54 pm 

Did the forced update on the 64bit Mac version ingame updater and when the files page began to download, I got a message saying 'files not on server" and then it continued on downloading files... Not sure if I got everything I was supposed to. Just an FYI heads up..

Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 29048MB
OSX 10.13.6

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:37 am 

Love the BOB aircraft. Always my first love in this game!
Either side=fun.
Nice work

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:14 pm 

--

Did test on compression speeds for Bf-109E-X through to Bf-109G-2

65% fuel at 15k start at or around 335 MPH indicated slight control stiffness.
At approx 370 MPH indicated full practical lockup imminent.

I was receiving reports of lockup at 300 MPH indicated. I saw no such issue.

Making sure this is near correct and wanted.

Juice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:57 pm 

<S>
Seems about right Juice=, sir. Thanks for testing it, and it should definitely not lock up at 300 mph. The decrease in control authority of the Bf 109 flightmodels is due to evidence that the controls quickly get heavier with increasing airspeed for this airplane. According to test pilot Rob Erdos it required him two hands to pull 3.5 G's at 280 mph in a Bf 109E. According to test pilot Mark Hanna he could pull 5+ G's with both hands at 311 mph. I've set the Bf 109 flightmodels to slowly start getting heavier controls from 180 mph IAS, and allow for roughly 5.5 G's at 320 mph IAS at neutral trims, and at 400 mph indicated one struggles to pull out of a dive unless using elevator trim. There are also reports that British pilots defended against Messerschmitts on their six by rolling over and dive to build up speed, then pull up sharply to make the trailing Bf 109's overshoot. On several occasions during Battle of Britan when this tactic was executed close to the ground, the attacking Bf 109's plunged nose first into the dirt, the German pilot being unable to pull out of the dive. This trait of the Bf 109 is why P-51D pilots regarded the Mustang as the better plane at high speeds, while avoiding to get into a slow knife fight with the 'Schmitts. Hopefully the new Bf 109 flightmodels in Warbirds have a performance as close to their real world handling as possible.

"Pulling out of the dive, I discovered that the Bf-109’s elevators became distressingly heavy at high speed. I had read wartime accounts of Spitfire pilots taking Bf-109s into steep high-speed dives, knowing that the Bf-109 would be unable to pull out. This was a convincing demonstration, requiring a two-handed pull to achieve a 3.5 ‘g’ recovery at 450 km/hour (280 mph)." - Test pilot Rob Erdos

I've also seen complaints from players that the new Bf 109's turn to well and even turn better than Spitfires. This ain't true from my tests and I've recently made actual turning tests with the help of "Mirlox" and "Victim", and in both tests the Spitfires would outturn the Bf 109's in a sustained turn fight. With Mirlox starting on my six in a Bf 109E, it required my Spitfire Mk.I approximately four laps to get on his six in a left hand turn, which seems very true to real ww2 British turn tests between the fighters. Now from all sources I've read when remodeling the Bf 109 fighter series, and especially when reading modern test pilot statements about their turning ability, the Messerschmitts seem to have been great turn fighters, not flying trucks like some post-war propaganda has claimed and many people still believe.

"I like the airplane, and with familiarity, I think it will give most of the Allied fighters I have flown a hard time- particularly in a close, hard-turning, low-speed dogfight. It will definitely out-maneuver a P-51 in this type of fight because the roll rate and slow-speed characteristics are much better. The Spitfire, on the other hand, is more of a problem for the 109, and I feel it is a superior close-in fighter. Having said that, the aircraft are sufficiently closely matched that pilot ability would probably be the deciding factor. At higher speeds, the P-51 is definitely superior, and provided the Mustang kept its energy up and refused to dogfight, it would be relatively safe against the 109."
- Test pilot Mark Hanna

Below is an interview with a real life pilot who claims that from his experience the Bf 109 can easily outturn a P-51, and it would be very close with a Spitfire in a turnfight.

Cheers!
/Robert