It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 9:38 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:21 am 

10. Watch re-runs of 'what not to wear' for five days while tied to a chair with my eyes taped open.
9. Mistake Preparation H for toothpaste.
8. Chew tinfoil.
7. Stick my tongue to a frozen flagpole
6. Go to a Justin Bieber concert on a date with Rosanne Barr- in the mosh pit.
5. Floss my teeth with barbed wire.
4. Retire to the South Pole.
3. Get stuck in traffic on a moped in January in Saskatchewan.
2. Shave with a "Harry's razor" discarded in a urinal in a trucker's bar.
1. Set my hair on fire and put it out with an ice pick.

Please, before I do something desperate, remove this boring POS map from the rotation.

finn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:38 am 

What makes a good terrain ?
I've been recently pushing for them to cut out many from the rotation and just stick to 3 or 4 good ones.

So please - list your favorite 3 terrains for general arena play and why

Don't forget that the larger terrains can always have a reduced "active area" by disabling a section of the terrain.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:37 pm 

Agree. The Greece map is great if you have 50+ players maybe, But its simply too big and takes too long to land kills and return or just get to a fight before its over..

The Atoll terrain (last rotation) was great for lo numbers..Basically, all the smaller maps with shorter grids more concentrated battles seem to be the favorites with the current 20-30 players ..

The Britain/France map, BoB, Pacific map etc .. Lose the huge ones please..Dont think there would be much of a fuss if you just yanked Greece today and replaced it with something more game friendly.. Not looking forward to 2 weeks of this one. IMHO as always..

Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 29048MB
OSX 10.12.6

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:54 pm 

That's quite interesting. No doubt many guys have different perspectives depending on their play style.

Don't forget that you can always reduce the active area with the larger terrains (or move it around next time it comes up)

Personally I cannot stand most of the small cookie cutter terrains.
So dull especially after years of playing ...

If it was up to me I would

--------------------------------------------------------------
KEEP only these 4 x NEWER terrains in Legacy arena rotation
--------------------------------------------------------------
Crimea *
Greece *
North Sea *
Solomons

* Reduced ACTIVE gameplay area with fields greyed out. .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DROP these from rotation until the fields / general layout is freshened up
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tunisia
Philippines
Ardennes
Europe
Malta
Atoll
Blitz

But then I play the game primarily as a strike pilot.
Secondly as an enemy bomber intercept pilot
Thirdly and lastly as a pure fighter pilot.

The sky is the sky is the sky.
The field / target designs, layouts and cool landscapes are what I'm more interested in.

Last edited by bollok on Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:56 pm 

Don't forget that a Lanc need to travel some 60 miles across the terrain to get up to a good bombing height

(3 grids on most maps with 20 mile grids such as Greece)

FWIW, I had suggested that they use Greece with a reduced active area for this rotation.....
because in the past people comment about whack a mole

"something" like this with some 90 miles (4 and a half grids at the bottom of the terrain ) not in active play

Attachments:
greece reduced.JPG
greece reduced.JPG [ 123.63 KiB | Viewed 198 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:26 am 

I love the old maps...but they are just that...old.

The new maps that are too large for our numbers, are more fun to fly in because the terrains are well done. I agree with Pak's chief complaint about the larger maps, but I cannot stand another TOD in Malta or Ardennes or Atoll. We have expelled more ordnance in those three maps than in the totality of the real wars. These new maps need to be modified for use in the main. They are well done and deserve play time.

~Sakai
坂井
Tainan Kokutai
台南

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:25 am 

With a 25 mile radar, which is fairly short, the small terrains can be very difficult at times to do much high alt work without being spotted on radar and intercepted. The original purpose of 25 mile radar was to provide some climb space to get to operational altitude before hitting radar, so that when you do your at alt and attack speed. Not being able to do so increases likelihood of NOE bomber attacks.
Of course larger maps are harder to reset, take longer, but get done nonetheless. Proximity of airfields to each other is the success factor, not always the size of the map. ETO is lousy, not because its big, but because the airfields are so far apart in flight time from each other.
Many times when numbers are hugely offset a larger map can provide a "hit em where they ain't" strategy for the outnumbered side which is frustrating if your looking for a fight but popular to the outnumbered side.
Decreased flight times to action areas, no matter the size of map is key along with any map that allows a 2nd or 3rd front to be opened up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:06 pm 

Sleepy, that 'hit em where they ain't' is one of the things that drives players away. It would be far far better to automatically balance sides, and scrap the whole squad system- but I know that's impossible. The squad system has, for the most part, worked well in S3s, but has been absolutely toxic in the main arena. The level of hatred between players- who'd probably enjoy a beer together in real life- is staggering. Each side is sure that the other side has some players who have either found a hack or been gifted with better guns, a better FM, or some other advantage by IEN. IF players were forced to fly on whatever side needed players- they might find they actually can have friends on both sides, and maybe respect each other a bit more. That's probably a pipe dream...
But when an air combat game can be "WON" without actually engaging the enemy, or even when air combat itself can be avoided in an AIR COMBAT GAME, something is very wrong with the design, or in this case the map.
Greece is beautiful, but it's way too big for the main arena, and when you cut it down to limit the play area, it's tricky to give both sides adequate if not equal resources.
finn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:29 pm 

Finn wrote:
... when an air combat game can be "WON" without actually engaging the enemy, or even when air combat itself can be avoided in an AIR COMBAT GAME, something is very wrong with the design,...

Thats a desaster. Exists for quite a while, look at the scoring system, gamers ranking high in "Fighter" without fighting (but bombing undefended posts). "Bombers" need no rtb to top score. IEN wont do anything.

And squadrons: a source of hate crap and power struggle. IEN wont do anything.

I understand the good will within the "forward deployment" feature, it just doesnt do good. It ends warbirds as a simulator, its not even a tank simulator. Traditionally, we qualified unreal behaviour (like low flying Lancs) as dweebish, now its a built in feature. "forward deployment" is an arcade fantasy with no real background at all. But it encourages gamers to "run-die-run-die" without planning, tactics, or skills. IEN wont do anything.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:35 pm 

The score system is a hangover from dial up internet... where more time spent online = more points

I've told them numerous times if they want to make the score page meaningful they only need take a couple of existing parameters

All you need to do per TOD is divide the # of sorties by the total points scored and RANK in order by highest average score PER SORTIE (instead of total points)
Also add in the K/D ratio stat as people like to see this stat....

Simples really
Would take them 5 minutes to change this.