It is currently Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:49 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:32 pm 

Were these really such inefficient rounds in the wars as they are in the game?
You have 6 to 8 guns firing 2,500 to 3000 rounds in about 15 seconds and they mostly get absorbed by the target with minimal damage. The amount of time you have to stay on the 6 of a con to get any damage is pretty long and hard to do without getting a con on your tail.
I now these were in huge supply as compared to the 50 cals but were they really this wimpy?
is it possible they have been accidentally dumbed down with all the changes recently?
just asking for a friend..
Thanks!

AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB
OSX 10.15.6

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:01 am 

Historically, the 303s were quite good against early war fighters, but less so against bombers.
The somewhat mis-named dewilde incendiary cartridge was popular with pilots because it showed a 'spark' when it hit an enemy, and was ballistically similar to AP rounds. Even with 8x303, fighters still needed to get in close- but if they did, they could certainly down a fighter effectively. Interestingly, the fact that they had trouble finishing bombers led to luftwaffe pilots landing heavily damaged planes with badly wounded and dead crewmen aboard. This could be as disheartening as absolute losses. Especially since the Luftwaffe crews were constantly being told that the brits were down to their 'last 50' Spitfires. But honestly, if the 303s were truly effective, they would not have been replaced by the HS 20mm as main armament.
In Warbirds, set your convergence for 200 (or even less) and get close. Try for cockpit hits above all.

Pakrat wrote:
Were these really such inefficient rounds in the wars as they are in the game?
You have 6 to 8 guns firing 2,500 to 3000 rounds in about 15 seconds and they mostly get absorbed by the target with minimal damage. The amount of time you have to stay on the 6 of a con to get any damage is pretty long and hard to do without getting a con on your tail.
I now these were in huge supply as compared to the 50 cals but were they really this wimpy?
is it possible they have been accidentally dumbed down with all the changes recently?
just asking for a friend..
Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:32 am 

--
That is well said by =finn=

"All gun work great at D1"
Easy to say but very true.
One should get as close as possible and then get closer. Then aim small to miss small for over 1/2 second.
Concentrated fire on one spot is key.

At this point many say, "how am I suppose to do that when they are all over the place"
I then say, "concentrating on a single point (pixel if I may) and fire for it every time during all maneuvering, you will see the difference over time in all aspects"

To go further but slightly different. If you pay attention to every move your opponent makes no matter the distance you can gain comparative E/position moment by moment (as long as you are eyes on at all times).
By doing so you will instinctively anticipate positions and "create" shots.

effusing

Juice

Last edited by juice= on Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:02 pm 

With the penalty free juking and stick stirring in the game it makes it really hard to stay in close and score hits. compared to gun cam footage you can see how the wind and g-forces limit the pilots ability to pull impossible maneuvers to avoid being hit. It just seems weird that you can unload 700 rounds from 8 guns into the airframe in front of you and it can still fly off unharmed. Thats why i was curious as to whether the lethality setting for the .303's was in need of a review. Thanks Finn and Juice for the educational replies..

AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB
OSX 10.15.6

Last edited by Pakrat on Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:45 am 

Good thread.

~S~

Tainan Kokutai - 台南

Akatombo | White 576 | Curtiss AVG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:26 pm 

Well, sometimes .303 seems to be very effective. I know it's not easy task to create realistic damage models, but this is so tragicomic, that I have to tell it; Lancaster landed next from my Panther G, D 0,2. Hit it 6 times w/ 75mm, twice directly to rear gun post. And what happened? Lanc didn't get any damage but killed Panther with rear gunners .303 machine gun... :shock: