It is currently Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:22 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:40 pm 

Not to prolong this silliness but just to clarify.
Was flying a B24j and had already shot down a few intruders when ***lox made a lousy pass on me and I blew him up gunning from the tail. Buffer says "Kill by Pakrat.."
As he does any time he gets killed he came on 100 and began complaining that otto was never that good in real war footage and proceeded to post a link to a youtube video that supposedly proves his point.
I typed in that it wasnt otto but me that shot him down.. he maintained it wasnt historical and still didnt get it.
In another historical moment, he replaned and was back on me in a few minutes..This time he added the last shots needed to re-kit the bomber and that was that..
Until I saw he had come here and transferred his complaining about otto being overly tough even though he had been told it wasnt otto..
he likes to blame all kinds of things for his deaths, like its not supposed to ever happen and if it does, there must be a supernatural cause.. never does he ever say 'well done, or nice fight, or good kill" etc. Its always a fluke or as he likes to do accuse you of cheating somehow.. and on and on.. Just get a little sick of it after awhile..
So that was the deal..Sorry if it seemed trivial, but its annoying and needed him to knock it off and just fly and die like everyone else..
Oh yeah, BTW,
'There were no "Real Ottos" in a B24 so I;m not even sure what the hell he was referring to and neither is he apparently...

Over n out..

AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB
OSX 10.15.6

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:56 pm 

Pakrat wrote:
Not to prolong this silliness ...

You just did that...and why not? Isn't this the "How tough is puberty in Alaska" forum?
I am here to help <S>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:03 am 

Regarding bomber toughness, here is an interesting study by German Luftwaffe officers and armament experts. The Germans concluded that a fighter would on average need to carry over 1000x 20-mm rounds to bring a large bomber down, taking into account the hit accuracy of a normal pilot. A Fw 190 usually carries 500x 20-mm rounds and a Spitfire IXe, as comparison, carries only 240x 20-mm rounds. As such, in real life you would need at minimum 2x Fw 190's, or 4x Spitfires to bring down a single B-17 or B-24. Also it is mentioned in the text that approaching bombers from behind resulted in great losses for the German fighters due to the defensive gunners of the bombers.

"On January 27, 1943, Eighth Air Force attacked Germany for the first time. Fifty-eight B-17 Flying Fortresses and B-24 Liberators hit the port of Wilhelmshaven.

During the next seven months, the bombers ventured progressively deeper over the enemy homeland and in progressively greater force. These raids took the bombers far beyond the reach of US and British fighters. The bombers had only the concentrated crossfire of their .50-caliber machine guns to ward off attacks from German fighters. The Luftwaffe slowly came to realize that these daylight attacks, if left unchecked, would undermine Germany’s capacity to prosecute the war. German fighter units were pulled back from the battle fronts. During the first half of 1943, the day fighter force in Germany and the western occupied territories rose from 635 aircraft to more than 800.

German fighters initially found themselves short on firepower when engaging the sturdy, well-armored heavy bombers. When Luftwaffe officers examined wrecked B-17s and B-24s, they discovered that it took at least twenty hits with 20-mm shells fired from the rear to bring them down. Armament experts, after analyzing combat camera footage, learned that pilots of average ability hit the bombers with only about two percent of the rounds they fired. To obtain twenty hits, the average pilot had to aim 1,000x 20-mm rounds at the bomber. The best German fighter, the FW-190, carried only 500x 20-mm rounds.

Of course, the straight-shooting Luftwaffe “experts” (fighter pilots with more than twenty-five kills; the Luftwaffe did not use the term “ace”) got a much higher percentage of their rounds on the target. But even they had problems when attacking formations of heavy bombers. Maj. Anton Hackl, who ended the war with 192 credited victories, explained: “If one came in from the rear, there was a long period, closing from 1,000 meters to our firing range of 400 meters, when the bombers were firing at us but we could not fire at them. This was a very dangerous time, and we lost a lot of aircraft trying to attack that way.”

In Warbirds a good pilot can sometimes kill several bombers with a single Fw 190A-8. A contributing factor to this is probably that the bullets are near basketball sized, and the average Warbirds player has many years of experience. As such we see a much higher hit accuracy in WB's than what the pilots had in real life.

<S>
/Robert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:35 pm 

My dad was a bombardier in a B17. We had several talks over the years about what it was like to climb into that thing every day and fly from England to the various targets over germany and france. Among some of the factiods he divulged were that the greatest threat was from frontal attacks by german fighters as this was the weakest defensive spot on the B17..indeed it was a 20mm shell from a 190 frontal attack that shattered his nosecone and exploded next to his head. he took some shrapnel in his neck and back as well as a large piece of the Norden bobmsite which was removed from his back. he left it to us in his scrapbook. Discharged with a purple heart and a DFC..
Other notables were they lost alot of planes while climbing out thru the clouds and fog while forming up and climbing to alt before setting out across the channel as there wasnt time to do so directly.. Also, they rarely went above 24k or so . He said the gunners never ran out of ammo as they had plenty of extra boxes of 50cals on board..
He left his personal accounts of every mission he flew (25). Its an amazing read. But he loved that b17 and said its toughness was the reason he and so many of his fellow fliers survived.
The difference for us is mainly we dont have strength in numbers as they did, so being forced to fly solo for a bombing run means getting there in once piece is much more difficult. Its always frustrating when you deplete your ammo, lose a gunner or two but are able to down an attacker just to see him replane and come right back up and continue plinking away at you until you have reached your hit absorption quota..
While pilots are complaining about bomber settings as being 'unhistoric' compared to war footage or stats, they somehow forget to see how 'unhistoric' it is to have the same pilot replane over and over while the bomber does not enjoy that luxury. For this reason alone its required that in game the bombers hardness and gunners accuracy settings be at a level that allow a decent chance of success, otherwise the game board stagnates. As pointed out by Robert, one 190 should not be able to make a diving pass on a B17 and totally re-kit it. indeed as the late war planesets come the firepower of the fighters increases while the bomber hardness does not.
Hopefully in the next incarnation of the game we can address these shortcomings.. make a fighter have to start from a more distant field after being downed to simulate recovery and transport time, and a more accurate damage model that allows for incremental damage (ie partial tail/elevator damage rather than the entire thing coming adrift and turning your buff into a flying porpoise..) and same for wings, fuselage etc.. Wont it be great to get to fly a b17 home with bits and pieces dangling while 2 engines are out limping back to base? I suspect this will add to the immersion and sweaty palms if we can implement it..
Fingers crossed they get it right..

AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB
OSX 10.15.6

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:55 pm 

Pakrat wrote:
Hopefully in the next incarnation of the game we can address these shortcomings.. make a fighter have to start from a more distant field after being downed to simulate recovery and transport time, and a more accurate damage model that allows for incremental damage (ie partial tail/elevator damage rather than the entire thing coming adrift and turning your buff into a flying porpoise..) and same for wings, fuselage etc.. Wont it be great to get to fly a b17 home with bits and pieces dangling while 2 engines are out limping back to base? I suspect this will add to the immersion and sweaty palms if we can implement it..
Fingers crossed they get it right..

That would be great. I have gotten back with 1 engine dead w/ B24 and Ju88, the latter I once managed to land in one piece even both ailerons and flaps were shot away, but never when elevator is gone.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:45 pm 

Once again no matter how dated this game gets the hardcore decade old vets learned the hard way about online sportsmanship. So many griefers and posers and whiners came and went. The true solid players always outlast the next bang for the buck, troll meisters and "i have way too much time on my handers". Not making a judgment call on this post. Just saying when the reasonable guys are pointing out some issues its time to say sorry I may have been wrong. When I was wrong those 2 or 3 times all these great players have been super supportive, understanding and your best friend until they shoot you down again :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:52 pm 

The German study I read said that it took on average twenty hits from 20mm and five from a 30mm to down a heavy bomber.
Given an experten behind the gun sight, someone who could average 10 percent hits, even expending ALL the 20mm should result in 50 20mm hits. The real issue is firing time- in a high speed pass the fighter has just a second or two long window of opportunity. No German fighter (or any nation's) would have much luck surviving just sitting behind a bomber and blazing away. Still, one or two effective passes should bring down a bomber given that in WB the skilled players all shoot at near or above 10 percent hits- even given misses on ground targets counting against them. Are you suggesting we artificially reduce gun effectiveness for fighters to artificially create a lower and more realistic hit average? Hoo boy. There's a slippery slope. I think I"d suggest increasing dispersion for all guns to force shorter range (and historically accurate shooting) before messing with projectile effectiveness. To be fair, there is no perfect solution.
I think what exists now isn't a bad compromise.
Get rid of the rinse and repeat launching of bombers and fighters by making all players start from a base further back after a death rather than simply re-launching. The bomb and bail crowd would get half as many missions into an hour's play, but the defenders would not be able to reincarnate time after time either.
finn
PS Of course, all this is moot when there are 10 guys online and 9 of them are on the same side. That's the real problem- but that's also for another thread!

quote="Robert"]Regarding bomber toughness, here is an interesting study by German Luftwaffe officers and armament experts. The Germans concluded that a fighter would on average need to carry over 1000x 20-mm rounds to bring a large bomber down, taking into account the hit accuracy of a normal pilot. A Fw 190 usually carries 500x 20-mm rounds and a Spitfire IXe, as comparison, carries only 240x 20-mm rounds. As such, in real life you would need at minimum 2x Fw 190's, or 4x Spitfires to bring down a single B-17 or B-24. Also it is mentioned in the text that approaching bombers from behind resulted in great losses for the German fighters due to the defensive gunners of the bombers.

"On January 27, 1943, Eighth Air Force attacked Germany for the first time. Fifty-eight B-17 Flying Fortresses and B-24 Liberators hit the port of Wilhelmshaven.

During the next seven months, the bombers ventured progressively deeper over the enemy homeland and in progressively greater force. These raids took the bombers far beyond the reach of US and British fighters. The bombers had only the concentrated crossfire of their .50-caliber machine guns to ward off attacks from German fighters. The Luftwaffe slowly came to realize that these daylight attacks, if left unchecked, would undermine Germany’s capacity to prosecute the war. German fighter units were pulled back from the battle fronts. During the first half of 1943, the day fighter force in Germany and the western occupied territories rose from 635 aircraft to more than 800.

German fighters initially found themselves short on firepower when engaging the sturdy, well-armored heavy bombers. When Luftwaffe officers examined wrecked B-17s and B-24s, they discovered that it took at least twenty hits with 20-mm shells fired from the rear to bring them down. Armament experts, after analyzing combat camera footage, learned that pilots of average ability hit the bombers with only about two percent of the rounds they fired. To obtain twenty hits, the average pilot had to aim 1,000x 20-mm rounds at the bomber. The best German fighter, the FW-190, carried only 500x 20-mm rounds.

Of course, the straight-shooting Luftwaffe “experts” (fighter pilots with more than twenty-five kills; the Luftwaffe did not use the term “ace”) got a much higher percentage of their rounds on the target. But even they had problems when attacking formations of heavy bombers. Maj. Anton Hackl, who ended the war with 192 credited victories, explained: “If one came in from the rear, there was a long period, closing from 1,000 meters to our firing range of 400 meters, when the bombers were firing at us but we could not fire at them. This was a very dangerous time, and we lost a lot of aircraft trying to attack that way.”

In Warbirds a good pilot can sometimes kill several bombers with a single Fw 190A-8. A contributing factor to this is probably that the bullets are near basketball sized, and the average Warbirds player has many years of experience. As such we see a much higher hit accuracy in WB's than what the pilots had in real life.

<S>
/Robert[/quote]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:37 pm 

Ottos in this game(at least mine) are ridiculously ineffective. Just had a red F6F stayed on my Lanc's dead 6 for about 1 minute and he flew away without any apparent damage after shooting me down. On the other hand some Reds' are lethal as **** - I hardly can survive within D3 from their bombers, instant PK often, been even killed from like D8.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:53 pm 

Ok, I heard everyone and it seems that what we (every player) see/s on-line is unlikely to be the same for everyone. Is like we are fighting in different realms. As Einsteins said space/time is relative, and this is quite true in this game.

I strongly believe that is the outcome (sadly) of the high latency ceiling allowed by iENT. Right now this number is around 7-8 seconds, which is unheard of in any modern on-line game.

Why iENT still keeping such a humongous lag ceiling? It really beats me.

I many modern games if your latency is more than 500 ms you get a red light and you may be even thrown out of the game.

Should we lobby iENT to decrease its lag latency ceiling, now 7 seconds or so to a more reasonable 500 ms. I can assure you the gaming experience should improve significantly with this change, and it is actually quite easy to do.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:21 pm 

Seven seconds?

Where did that number come from?

Do I appear with latency in our flights to anyone?

Tainan Kokutai - 台南

Akatombo | White 576 | Curtiss AVG