It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:51 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:30 am 

This occurred to me the other day. Since I"m changing sides with every TOD, and have a fair bit of teaching experience in WB as a trainer that maybe... I could form a training squad that new players could join for two tours of duty. Through that time, I'd work with them on views, basic ACM, gunnery, shooting and wing tactics. Some sessions with juice in the training arena would be on the menu as well.
They'd get a chance to meet players on both sides, and at the end of the two Tours of duty, they could choose a squad or side to fly on and move on from the training squad.
I wonder how we could make this work. Right now, players come into the game and either get corralled into a squad before they even know anyone in the game, or struggle on their own until they quit in frustration. A few manage to survive, get a few kills and get hooked on the game in spite of its difficulty. I think this training period idea might get a few of them to hang in there. IF I can find a way to recruit.
Does that sound like a good idea? Is it do-able? I wonder.

finn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:11 pm 

so... zero feedback. Is it a stupid idea? Do I need a clue rake, or (nod to Jlord) a screwdriver? :)
finn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:15 am 

I believe it's a good idea. If some body has the time and experience to do such a task. Now try to convince
Bill to make it so.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:04 am 

I think it's a good idea too. If I wasn't already in my squad I'd have asked to join.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:26 am 

Its an interesting idea, might need several trainers to be around "primetimes" or it may frustrate the newbies?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:02 pm 

Yes a good idea cuz then all those pilots would be as easy to shoot down as you! LOL! (JK)

Seriously, it is a good idea Finn. Should be free to fly while in your group.. Good luck!

Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 29048MB
OSX 10.13.6

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:22 pm 

I think in WB2020 all players should join a squad. All new players by default are assigned to one of the available training squads. These training squads would have leaders that are pilots on tour with wings like Finn. Players can stay in the training squads as long as they want or find another squad to join. Leave a squad and you are defaulted back to a training squad. The idea being that new players can be retained better by automatically being part of the system with goals and such as well as having a more experience player at the helm that is there to help them out in-game or take them to the training arena if they want further guidance. Also the few bad apples will be dumped back into the training squads where their actions can be confirmed by the trainers. Squads are the basis for the quick action arenas, realism arenas and the event arenas.

Player retention is a huge issue with WBs and will be in the future.

My loonie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:09 pm 

For a while we ran the fighter training squad where all noobs were auto enrolled in it as cdt's. 3 of us worked it pretty hard with even FTS co and xo status ( nom de gere).....99% of the time the noobs NEVER responded to private messages etc. WE could ride in their cockpits etc, give them advice etc but they never responded. In a years time I actually processed aprox 2000 cdt's with a retention rate of like 1 %.
Frankly, at a loss as to what would work without changing gameplay completely, but that will never happen. The old gaurd would never allow Bill to do it, and I got tired of trying.
Not to pee in anyones cherrio's ...Just saying I had a very in depth look at and lots of experiance trying it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:52 pm 

hard to get new people to subscribe to a game that looks dated and has nobody online.

If they are going to carry on with that model they need to make all the planes in RPS 1 & 2 100% free to play.
At least it gives the opportunity to build a base of players online around the clock.

Access to planes RPS 3-6 would require some form of subscription.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:29 pm 

The idea has merits Finn. When the new version is released there will be more folks willing to give it a go for the first time or returners. How long will the influx be is the question. Something for player retention needs in place and well oiled before the update goes live. In regards to sleepy and the others go at it, I can vouch for what he says as we talked many times about it back then. However this time may be different as maybe a new set of newbies will show as well. Regardless something needs done.
I have always wondered how many might give the game a go on their PC if only they didn't have to buy a joystick or upgrade their computer to see if they enjoyed it. There has to be tons of game players on computers that don't have a joystick. If only WB could strike a deal with a twisty stick manufacturer and bundle one somehow.
My 2¢ worth after thinking about it for 5 minutes ;)
<S>