It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 12:26 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Re: Warbirds 2020....
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:35 pm 

One of the first sims I ever had was Hellcats over the Pacific. This was somewhere in the early-mid 90's.. Even back then they had the engine start sound and matching prop spin along with a sputtering motor when damaged and even oil that would blow back onto the windscreen and impede your vision trying to get home. In the 20 odd years WB has been alive we have never had any of those simple and immersive features.
I really hope this news is true but I must have some reservations as this will be yet again another overhaul of the game and while I have just recently returned after a few years away, I remember well the chaos and disappointment that ensued when WB3 was introduced back in the early 2000's and the many subsequent years of problems that it brought just getting it to work. With a limited crew and having them diverted away from development to work on Tank games, outdoor sporting games, fighter pilot academy games, Flyboys, etc. all in the name of raising funds to complete WB3 which caused lots of folks to throw in the towel tired of waiting. My sincere hope is that this will be what is promised this time and without the 10 year wait.. I think it is important for the base to be informed and kept up to date on the true progress of this project and stay focused on the task at hand without being sidelined for other non WB related investments.. Also, lets not cause everyone to have to go out and buy a new rig to run it on like so many did due to the bad coding on WB3 when it came out..I wish everyone the best who is tasked with working on this and will be there on day 1 to help beta test it..

Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 29048MB
OSX 10.13.6

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:37 am 

grumpy wrote:
Don't put yourself down iArt as you do very good work.

Agree completely! IArt- you do VERY nice work.
finn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:01 pm 

I think its a good idea IArt to have a thread with new game ideas/feedback.

I think before IEN models anything they need to look over their game model and how they will attract and retain new customers to a basically brand new game.

Design the network topology with this in mind. For example is it going to be several big arenas with hundreds of players or hundreds of arenas with limited numbers of players.

Organize the UI/UX and front end experience where updates are added seamlessly, store items can be bought, vehicles can be organized/pimped and squadrons maintained.

Organize the game engine around an online simulation that will be able to roll out new features and functions and grow over the next decade. Even if you start with 4 models and one arena players will keep coming back if you show you are dedicated to the game with major updates and minor patches over the lifespan of the game.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:59 pm 

For sure jabo.

look here
http://www.microprose.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:16 pm 

Thanks Bollock.

Click on the steam button and some classics pop up. M1A1 Abrams was my first tank sim and B17 flying Fortress one of my first combat sims. The original XCOM is still a great tactical game and its successors are still going strong.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:00 pm 

--
If done correctly Gentlemen, this will be at the very least painful. And that can/should be good.

One would expect at the very least that this should be a seismic shift to what ALL are used to. (one always hopes it will be best of best of best)

The one thing that is most probably imperative is that the designers and QC need to be paid employees.
The other is that a good deal of research on the competition MUST be done to not waste time and/or money for a "New" product that is "old" already.

first impressions opinion

Juice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:04 am 

What -jabo- said above is very true. "Look over the game model and
how they will attract and retain new customers to a basically brand new game."

And what juice= said is good too: "A good deal of research
on the competition MUST be done to not waste time and/or
money for a "New" product that is "old" already."

Let's not leave Pakrat out ... "With a limited crew and having them diverted
away from development to work on Tank games, outdoor sporting games,
Fighter Pilot Academy, Flyboys, etc. all in the name of raising funds"

What parts of the current game are popular?

What makes it work and what has made it not work?

What are the features of competition games are most popular? etc.

sky

MacOS: El Capitan 10.11.6
Hardware: 2011 iMac 27" with El Capitan
Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
Graphics: AMD Radeon
Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Facebook Page: Warbirds Skins

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:53 pm 

I've suggested to WB that there are several in here that could work on skins of planes so that the developers can spend their time elsewhere. I'd love to help out with some skins, I'm sure iArt would as well. All we would need art the flat skin templates of the new models.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:23 pm 

One thing that I have come to see in many games is cross platform is key to their success. Consoles have unique advantages and disadvantages and are better at some type of games than others. Many flight sims make the 3rd person outside view standard so that consoles can better exploit that play style. If WB 2020 does go cross platform I would love to see different layers of game experience. Often in the S3s we were limited by the game engine in what we could change without effecting the game as a whole. Its very important to have an arcade experience so that new players can test out the actual game mechanics without getting frustrated and progress to the more sim oriented aspects of combat flight sims. This would included VR experience at the higher levels.

The core of WBs has always been its great squadron culture. WB 2020 needs to design this into its framework. Squadrons should be able to unlock premium content and be able to affect the 24/7 strategy arenas if WBs chooses to have them. Squadrons have to be more than duelling groups otherwise you will not promote naval, bomber and strike squadrons which really made WBs a diverse playing experience. Getting lone wolves into squadrons should be promoted to educate and improve the player experience. Putting a strategic framework outside of the actual arenas would get squadrons motivated to do their part in the greater war(s). This is all part of the UI\UX that often sells a game before the player even attempts to play it. Making it more than just an air fighting game will be WB 2020s key to success.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:51 am 

Didn't see this in the write up- apologies if it's there.
Will the new version support Oculus Rift? HOpe so. (Presuming I get enough sight back in my left eye!)