It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:01 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:46 pm 

<S> All. I've finally found the reason as to why the Spitfires keep breaking their wings.
In the last update I fixed all the G-tolerance settings for the Spits, but I kept getting reports from the players that they kept breaking their wings to easily, which left me confused. This always seemed to be when the pilot was flying at higher speeds though so I decided to check through the control authority files. Clear as day the last programmer had set the elevator control authority to 100% all the way to up 420 mph IAS for the Spitfires. Usually planes slowly start losing elevator authority already at 260 mph, simulating the stick becoming heavier to operate with increasing airspeed due to wind forces, but the Spitfires are currently set as if the Hulk was pulling the stick. What this means is that at very high speeds even a small flick of the joystick will immediately spike the G's well past the breaking point for the Spitfires, especially when applying even slight forward pressure on the stick.

I will change the numbers to realistic levels and incorporate the changes in the next update that is coming in a few weeks. The Spitfire wing breaking issue should soon be solved once and for all. I just wanted to inform everyone that the real root to this evil bug has now finally been found. 8-)

<S>
/Robert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:57 pm 

those pesky programmers...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:26 pm 

Thanks Robert!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:52 pm 

Robert,

make sure to check PPCs for 420mph interval.. a lot of them got muffed into 410 mph and the PPC only works in 20 mph intervals.

I had corrected in the past all the PPCs but who knows...

p.s. You will notice if you load the PPC into the FM gen along with the other files as it will tell you.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:00 am 

<S> Smiley :-)

And rgr Bollok, always running the .ppc file through the FMG to check that I didn't screw any commas, periods or numbers up :-).

<S>
/Robert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:06 pm 

Great find Robert! Question.. Does this possibly explain the ages old argument about the seemingly sudden blackouts in spits as compared to other aircraft? Either way, while I have lost a few wings per topic the fixes you guys have made to the FM's has totally transformed many previously incorrect flight characteristics (per available books, films, interviews etc...) into some really competiitive matchups. Especially in the early planesets where the dogfighting experience now seems to be much more what we have always heard/read about.. Guessing there wont be as many "this f------g FM is like totally porked.." screams coming over TS .. WTG Gents for making this 20 year wait worthwhile..

Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 29048MB
OSX 10.13.6

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:55 pm 

Good work!
Now get the spit back its higher levels of boost- 21 and 25 pounds for the third week and the final couple of days of the tod respectively.
8-)
finn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:48 pm 

Pakrat wrote:
Great find Robert! Question.. Does this possibly explain the ages old argument about the seemingly sudden blackouts in spits as compared to other aircraft? Either way, while I have lost a few wings per topic the fixes you guys have made to the FM's has totally transformed many previously incorrect flight characteristics (per available books, films, interviews etc...) into some really competiitive matchups. Especially in the early planesets where the dogfighting experience now seems to be much more what we have always heard/read about.. Guessing there wont be as many "this f------g FM is like totally porked.." screams coming over TS .. WTG Gents for making this 20 year wait worthwhile..

Thank you Pakrat! We're trying to research as much data as we can dig up for each flightmodel, and using physics/aerodynamical knowledge and experience where there is no info to be found. Hopefully the match-ups will be as close to history as possible. And yes, this fully explains why the Spitfires have been more prone to blackouts, since the elevators have been way more sensitive at high speeds than for other fighters. You can now still blackout or even crack a wing if you completely manhandle the Spitfire with the new update, but it should not be as easy as it has been.

Finn wrote:
Good work!
Now get the spit back its higher levels of boost- 21 and 25 pounds for the third week and the final couple of days of the tod respectively.
8-)
finn

Thank you, sir! We would unfortunately have to make a new flightmodel with a completely new engine set up for that, sir, as we can't just switch different boosts on/off at will :) .

----------------------
And jeezes christ... I'm currently working on the Hurricanes. Thought I'd share this for laughs haha. Some of the hitmaps for previous planes I've remodeled have been really bad and needed many fixes... But this is just horrific. Below are the hitboxes for the Hurricane II's left wing... Yes, if you hit the outer right wing then the left wing will fall off :lol: .

The right wing's hitboxes are at least partially in place...

And the left aileron will be damaged no matter what wing you shoot at, there are no right aileron hitboxes. Also there are no hitboxes for left/right wing fuel tanks, but instead extra central fuel tanks placed at the belly haha.

And now I'll be off to completely rebuild the hitmap for this spectacle, well either that or shoot myself :D. Good thing that at least ~60% of the hitboxes are correctly placed.

Cheers!
/Robert

Last edited by Robert on Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:40 pm 

Then redo the engine- right now, the spit 14 (and the 9 for that matter) need that late 1944 boost.
We HAD those boost levels before... what happened to them?
finn

PS
Nice work on the V205 and the yaks- much more fun to fly now.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:12 pm 

I dont think people realize that 2-3 people like Robert are doing all the testing and design for a new series of FM models. Lots of changes from last years setup. So many changes on how each aircraft flies let alone the complete rebuilds which take the longest. It is always nice to get feedback on the new FMs though. It really helps the guys pinpoint issues. In the latest S3 the Spitfire XIVE is a beast even against late war German rides. Not saying it wasnt the case historically but with so many FMs to redo it at least flies it well. Poor little Hurricanes are finally getting new engines, hitboxes and FMs.
With the Hurricane overhauled we have almost the entire early war plane set on the same series of FM. Which is awesome and allows better comparison between contemporary fighters.