It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:49 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Peer program
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:43 am 

Gentlemen <S>

I suggest to nominate peers to support and enhance the code of conduct (in terms of gaming and nettiquette).

For instance, a peer should:
*report to a CM directly
*be able to remind other gamers to adhere to the code of conduct they have agreed to
*in severe cases, be able to inhibit abusing gamers for a limited time, like 10 minutes, from goin in "flight".

Due to certain devellopments in the main arean I see an urgent need for it. BTW: I DO NOT APPLY FOR IT!

I've been called a coward, having no honour, being a nazi on more than one occasion by a certain lobby of gamers. I get along with it quite well, even though the nazi thing hurts me, it is a criminal offence in the country where I live. To witness this on 100 as a returning or new player must be nothing else than disgusting. I have reported with screenshots to ien, just in case u ask. And this thread is NOT about to bash on people with bad manners.

Your opinions please (on the peer thing).
Regards greenx

Post subject: Re: Peer program
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:29 pm 

Once upon a time tried policing the arena with disastrous results.
There is no " conduct" policy per se except for some vaguely worded stuff you can look at in the help or somewhere like that.
Funny thing is, both sides each think the "other" side is the guilty party and after long observation, both sides are guilty of much of the exact same thing...generally speaking with some personal exceptions of course...much of the time pot is calling kettle black type of thing, but what it really points out is the fact that the arena has devolved into "us" and "them" instead of people flying both sides on whatever night, is the lack of community spirit that usually develops tweenst players who have both flown "with" each other and "against" each other...being able to do so builds a more personal relationship ( or can) and takes much of the animosity away between two color groups.
This caustic "atmosphere" is (IMHO) one of the great stumbling blocks that certainly doesn't help WB grow....but both sides insist on hating each other and creating their own personal villains to blame the woes of the world upon. When you don't "know" someone, its much easier to hate them.
But its something only the community itself can police, certainly not a "policeman"
I understand where you are coming from however and the perceived "need"
Its very difficult to legislate "morals"...take a look at society itself......nuff said
<S>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:31 am 

Excuse me, there is a conduct policy, its part of everyones WB account, found in TERMS AND CONDITIONS:

"...You may not, under any circumstances, do any of the following: (a) publish, post, distribute or disseminate defamatory, infringing, obscene or other unlawful material or information via iEN; (b) use iEN to threaten, harass, stalk, abuse, or otherwise violate the legal rights (including rights of privacy and publicity) of others; ..."

I did'nt suggest to establish a police, but a peer structure. Many of us work in companies which use this concept with good success. It can be put in place with no costs for IEN.

What is a peer anyway? A typical peer is an experianced colleague, not a boss. He is woven in with the other members the group he is active in, at an eyeheight level. If a peer has certain powers, these powers should only be used (and usable) to HELP or GUARD, not to OVERPOWER or be a tool in a power struggle. Therefor it should be discussed which powers that could be.

The WB community needs to get along WITHOUT Comunity Managers most of the time, because, simply, sleepy has a live and cant be online 24/7. But there are many experianced people around that would cover most of the time.

I've put this on the forum to find out what the comunity thinks about it. Maybe there is no need at all for anyone.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:16 am 

I don't tune channel 100 so I see very little.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:15 pm 

WarBirds is one of the better communities out there. If you follow game development you will see over and over again devs struggling to contain, control and channel their player base. Great games have been simply ruined by a toxic community. I think it is a very misunderstood and haphazard aspect of game development. It really effects the gameplay that all that great programming has built. Games that have great freedom, like sandbox games or MMO/MMOPGs have the greatest problems. But simple strategy games like Cybernations have lots of problems too. It doesnt matter if they are free or P2W or monthly fee, they all have community issues and problems. The good combat sim ones I see start out simple with limited options. One arena, sides divided as they see fit, etc. They then expand and monitor changes as they evolve. The devs drive the game. Build a good game and they will come. Maintain a good game and they will stay. Evolve a good game and you will continue to get new players. Of course some will get mad at you and leave, some will bitch and stay but the core should show up and love your game.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:49 pm 

Good points Jabo....and an opinion (for myself) I havn't quite given up on. Keep throwing @*#$& agin the wall and see what sticks. Its obvious we need to evolve into something else.....the Kharkov event was an experiment with a different game dev, and the Korean thing spindz and myself working another step that direction.....will it work? ( shrugs) who knows....but gotta try....good news that you feel like we do have a "better" community...always felt like we ( on the whole) got some pretty decent folk hanging out still

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:01 am 

from today, 30 mins ago. jabo, i would love to see you more often in the "legacy gameplay", the atmosphere is suffering maybe more than in the S3, where people are under supervision, more or less.
.ignore is an individual option, same as not tuning channel 100. Do we want to ignore abusive behaviour? Do we not, by ignoring, approve ?

Attachments:
nohonornoname.jpg
nohonornoname.jpg [ 90.53 KiB | Viewed 1106 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:19 pm 

It is a good question greenx. Something all CMs struggle with as do all players. I play a variety of games centered around killing each other and the behaviour of about 10% of the player base is generally abusive. When it starts to rise above that then gameplay will start to have problems. There is only so much coding, rules and policing can do.

You can be offensive and not cross any of the important lines we have been taught since childhood. But unfortunately many gamers do not know the difference. Its not real so you dont have to be real. But I am hopeful as more and more games enter into esports that sportsmanship will come back in style in online gaming. I think the popularity of co-op and private servers shows that people want to play with like minded people. Generally this means people that respect each other, follow the rules as set down by the group and keep trash talk within acceptable boundaries. The best way for the WarBird player to foster this is to send IEN really offensive examples of poor manners and just .ignore the rest. By not supporting a fractious and offensive player either on the same side or against you soon he or she moves on pretty quickly. The problem when the player base becomes so small is the few bad apples really stand out and have an audience. Its like adding gasoline to their attention getting burn pile. I have seen some epic needliers over my 20 years here. The best did it well clear of the offensive line we were all taught. Some got darn close to it and a few went over the line. The ones that went over the line did not stay long and did not have the ear of anyone that was respected in the game.

WarBirds is one of the few online MMOs that involve combat simulation that has a continuing online presence for players. You login to the same arena with the same people night after night. Many of the online combat sims now involve random arena generation where you are not sure if you are going to meet the same people again. Or they police it so well that after so many deaths you are done for a set amount of time, moved to a different area, downgraded in class, etc. WarBirds is more like a MMORPG than most combat sims in that you have a persistent persona that everyone sees when they login. CMs keep the peace but should keep their gun holstered as long as possible. Players need to have a thick skin and ignore those trying for a reaction. Play well with like minded people and the truly mean\small\abusive people will fade away.

My two cents.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:57 pm 

Well said.

I was going to say something similar but far less eloquent.
Our small community breeds familiarity. Its easier therefore for people to overstep the mark.

Its funny but if you DIDNT know who people were and it was anonymous, you would find that you actually approach many fights a lot differently

I just try to focus on what my own squad / team / colour are doing and I don't really worry about the rest.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:39 pm 

People would approach it a lot differently if they played in the same room. Or even the same building. The distance of play using the internet makes of lot of fat old men (not unlike myself) a LOT braver. We have no way of fixing that short of enforcing the code of conduct with actual punishment based on a review of the logs. Back in the old AW days, a player could be declared Persona Non Grata for offensive behaviour and banned for a day (or much longer).
We lack the commitment to do that.
Another issue that we allow players with up to 7 seconds of lag to continue to play the game. When you players are THAT far apart in time, they are going to be seeing completely different versions of the same fight- and THAT inevitably leads to calls of "cheater' or "hacker" etc. That we CAN fix by making the limit a much more reasonable one. Say, 3 seconds. Ideally, maximum lag should be under 2 seconds, but that's too much to expect from today's technology. Or is it? Maybe somebody out there in our community knows more about this than I do.

finn